Friday, January 17, 2014

BWCC Chicken Breasts

Hey everybody!

Alright, so I decided to do the bacon-wrapped Coca-cola chicken breasts I found in the only BBQ book I own, authored by Myron Mixon. I marinated the chicken breasts overnight in a mixture of ~14oz of Coke, a diced onion*, and two crushed garlic cloves.



(*I learned to dice onions by typing "how to dice an onion" into Youtube and watching a two minute video from Gordon Ramsay. I wanted to make bourbon-caramelized onions for burgers and being able to dice without piercing the bulb has been an invaluable skill. Also bourbon is great for caramelization. Firefox says caramelization isn't a word but what does it know.)

The next day I readied the smoker(the recipe calls for 300 degrees and an MES30 only goes up to 275, so I knew I wasn't going to get as much smoke as others) and put the rub on the marinated pieces.

Rub:
Coarse Kosher Salt
Some Black Pepper
Ground Mustard
Chili Powder
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder 
Sugar

I wrapped them in a couple pieces of bacon each(and draped the rest of the bacon over the whole dish). These hung out in the smoker for about 1 hour 45 minutes while we watched the DVR and made sides. Instead of water this time I put apple juice in the bowl for SUPER APPLE STEAM POWER.

Next time I'll use less salt, or won't rub both sides. It was a bit salty but not too bad. The bacon was basically super salty ham, which means it was DELICIOUS AND WILL KILL YOU IF YOU EAT TOO MUCH.


I'm ready to try all kinds of different smoked chicken breast recipes now. I'm hoping my next smoke will be another Boston butt. I'll probably do a blog entry tomorrow on the baked mac and cheese recipe I'm fiddling with. Thanks for reading, share the blog and follow me on Twitter here

1 comment: